2003-04 roster

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

2003-04 roster

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:48 am

After news of the Lasme transfer today, UMass wasted no time in putting out a new roster, for next season already:
http://umassathletics.ocsn.com/sports/m ... l-mtt.html

Unless Lap gives a free ride to Paco or Arthur, we only have 9 scholarship players on the list. How many bodies do you think we're gonna ink in the spring?

I can never remember what the scholarship limit is, what is it?

KWilsonFan
Freshman

Post by KWilsonFan » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:11 pm

The Limit is 13 I believe

deke
Junior

Re: 2003-04 roster

Post by deke » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:14 pm

MikeUMA wrote:How many bodies do you think we're gonna ink in the spring?
My fear is that we'd be filling out roster spots with guys who are marginal talents simply to get live bodies on the bench. I hope I'm wrong and that we're still involved with some really good players, but it's pretty late for signings isn't it?

I still think the juco ranks should be a consideration. If we can find either a tough big man or a sharp-shooting swingman it will really help us out early next season.

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:19 am

Welcome back Mike! Props to getting this up and running again...

unfortunately despite the controversies, how big is it now to keep Briggs? Talk about trouble if he stayed off...

Alas beyond a couple kids being recruited right now (would make 11 if signed to scholarship), I don't see much more beyond that either...:(

Lappas is going to have to really pull off a trick and a half for next year...

17 wins

MF

whiterhino42
Junior

Guess on the lineup?

Post by whiterhino42 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:25 pm

:?: Anyone know how the lineup will shake down? My guess is this: at the point will be Anthony of course and the shooting guard now falls to Artie because I can't see Cox starting next year. I'm thinking Freeman at Center (I know he's a forward but he's as tall as Gabe and much stronger), Briggs at PF and Jeff at the SF slot. That gives us 3 starters that have yet to play a college game, ouch! I hope they are good. On the bench that leaves us with Gabe, Cox, Martin, and Kouyate for scholarship players and Paco and Arthur our walk-ons. Martin has to get more consistent to help off the bench and Kouyate needs a ton of improvement to be able to give us anything that will help. Gabe & Cox should be strong off the bench. It would be nice if we could sign one more decent player this spring to help our bench and then save the rest for 2004.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:51 pm

That sounds like a fair assessment of who will start. I've heard from a good source that Briggs was our most dominant post player at practices this past season, so I'm guessing that he will start. Freeman is a question mark since he's been sitting out a season and we have yet to know how good he actually is, so I'll go with Gabe as the other post player to start the season. Anderson and Viggiano are basically locks at their positions. I'm not sure about Bowers (again, he has yet to play a game), but I have a feeling he will eventually be starting at shooting guard over Cox if not right away.

As far as recruiting goes, I just recently saw the staff around campus with two recruits, but I have no idea who they were. I am sure they had already been looking at a lot of guys regardless of the surprising and recent departure of Lasme. We did have two scholarships open before he left anyway. Hopefully we can land another spring signing steal like we did with Viggiano.

Vishnu

Painful

Post by Vishnu » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:14 pm

This is a big hit to the program. When was the last time a True Freshman at UMass was such an integral part of the offense. He was a good defender as a Freshman and had that 'Refuse to Lose' attitude.

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:32 pm

2002-2003 Jeff Vig.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Briggs

Post by philosopher » Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:12 pm

Jeez, it was only a year ago these same words appeared on the old site: "You are going to love Briggs' work ethic." I hear he's put on some muscle mass, has developed a bit of a hungry/mean streak, and ready to rock and roll. Now, if he can get his 15-18 ft shot up to 50%, learn to take a charge, he and Freeman will make an awesome pair clogging up the middle on defense and keep things open for the guards to fire from the outside.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Brennan Martin

Post by MullinsManiac » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:17 pm

While this board was on the DL, somebody on the Masslive board said Brennan Martin was considering transferring also. I know I should consider the source, but I'll ask the question anyway in case anybody here has inside info.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:43 pm

Maxwell's verbal gives UMass 10 scholarship players. But, everything I've read says that thre are only 2 spots left to fill. If 13 is the limit, shouldn't there be 3? :?:

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:39 pm

Who can effectivly play the point if AA isn't available?

MullinsManiac
Senior

Remember Marcus?

Post by MullinsManiac » Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:45 am

OBG: Marcus Cox can play the point, but of course, "effectively" is the key word. My guess is Lappas's main focus now is to find somebody to groom to take over the point once AA leaves.

deke
Junior

Re: Remember Marcus?

Post by deke » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:41 pm

MullinsManiac wrote:My guess is Lappas's main focus now is to find somebody to groom to take over the point once AA leaves.
But AA should have two more seasons at UMass, assuming he graduates in May '04. So trying to lure a PG prospect this year could be difficult. But I'd say next year's class will definitely have a PG in it. Jamual Warren perhaps?

Also, from Vautour's article in Thursday's Gazette: According to his high school coach Darryl Schofield, Maxwell averaged 22 points, nine rebounds and 12 assists for Philadelphia Lutheran. Maxwell played point guard in high school this year, but Schofield said he can play either guard position and small forward.

So it's quite possible that Maxwell will challenge for time at the 2 guard with Bowers, and also back up AA at the point.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:33 pm

is anyone else a little worried that our tallest players are at 6'9"???