UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Re: UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Post by vanmeter » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:30 pm

3477 average home attendance. Wow!
Maybe this is good considering the post pandemic years 2021/22 where you had to show a proof of vaccination to get in.
In addition you’re giving Matt Cross all of the credit for increased attendance. What about Cohen, Diggins, Jayden,
Curry, and HS

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:27 pm

ESPN+'s ranking of transfers has Josh Cohen at #54 and Matt Cross at something like #170 (I only estimated #170; Matt is next to last on their "Next in line" list of guys ranking below 100.
Few leaving the A10 made the list. Koby Brea (Dayton) tops the A10 guys at #33. Josh is next highest, one spot higher than Keyshawn Hall (GMU). I saw 1 guy from the MAC.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -25-season

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:21 pm

vanmeter wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:30 pm 3477 average home attendance. Wow!
Maybe this is good considering the post pandemic years 2021/22 where you had to show a proof of vaccination to get in.
In addition you’re giving Matt Cross all of the credit for increased attendance. What about Cohen, Diggins, Jayden,
Curry, and HS
The increase is over a thousand when you go back to precovid McCall years. Fine divide it up. I wouldn’t do it evenly. I’d also factor in Cross (and Jayden to a degree) being from Massachusetts. Give him 300. Times $20 a ticket, which isn’t average. $6000 per game. 15 games, 90k. Factor in the $12 beers, food, etc. the kid brought money into the school.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:26 am

I don't really have a strong opinion on either side of this discussion, I see both points. This new era does suck for most of us who enjoyed seeing teams develop year over year and looking towards a strong veteran team finally getting over the hump. That's gone, and it's part of what made college sports great. I also don't begrudge any kid for getting paid what they can while they can.

As far as being a student-athlete to get your degree and give yourself an opportunity to better your future, I don't think that's as true anymore. A bachelor's degree isn't what it once was, and many regular students would be better off not going to a 4 year college. Matt getting a hypothetical 500k next year is going to improve his lifetime financial outlook much more than his bachelor's/masters degree, if he's smart with his money. P5 level players can set themselves financially for life over 4 years of playing college basketball if they are smart. I don't like what it means for the game, but I can't blame a kid leaving for substantially more money. I'd play on 8 teams in 4 years if it meant I wasn't bound to work 40+ hours a week for the next 50 years. A level of financial independence to pursue passions in life instead of a stable career is an invaluable gift.

Mike0473
Junior

Post by Mike0473 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:49 am

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:26 am I don't really have a strong opinion on either side of this discussion, I see both points. This new era does suck for most of us who enjoyed seeing teams develop year over year and looking towards a strong veteran team finally getting over the hump. That's gone, and it's part of what made college sports great. I also don't begrudge any kid for getting paid what they can while they can.

As far as being a student-athlete to get your degree and give yourself an opportunity to better your future, I don't think that's as true anymore. A bachelor's degree isn't what it once was, and many regular students would be better off not going to a 4 year college. Matt getting a hypothetical 500k next year is going to improve his lifetime financial outlook much more than his bachelor's/masters degree, if he's smart with his money. P5 level players can set themselves financially for life over 4 years of playing college basketball if they are smart. I don't like what it means for the game, but I can't blame a kid leaving for substantially more money. I'd play on 8 teams in 4 years if it meant I wasn't bound to work 40+ hours a week for the next 50 years. A level of financial independence to pursue passions in life instead of a stable career is an invaluable gift.
Isn't that the truth. Not bound to a 50 hour per week job and starting off debt free is a great spot to be in. Most of us work our whole lives to one day reach a point where we don't have any debt and don't have to work 50 hours a week somewhere just to get by. I don't blame them one bit.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:02 am

If Matt Cross gets $500,000 - all the power to him. My guess is $200,000 or less. Hopefully he comes back because he fits our team and the team culture better than he would many others.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:34 am

Other A10 teams have been getting commits and our lack of activity is making me nervous. GW just got a 6'9 transfer from Cornell. He's not a game-changer, but at least he's an experienced big. I know Frank hinted at 2 recruits, so why have we not heard anything? Last year, Josh was announced around this time and he made an appearance at the Spring Football Game. I'm hoping for a repeat of that this year.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:50 am

vanmeter wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:02 am If Matt Cross gets $500,000 - all the power to him. My guess is $200,000 or less. Hopefully he comes back because he fits our team and the team culture better than he would many others.
We have an offer on the table. Still a chance he comes back. NIL is not the driving force in his decision, but it is a factor. Don't blame him at all for testing the waters.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:54 am

69MG wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:34 am Other A10 teams have been getting commits and our lack of activity is making me nervous. GW just got a 6'9 transfer from Cornell. He's not a game-changer, but at least he's an experienced big. I know Frank hinted at 2 recruits, so why have we not heard anything? Last year, Josh was announced around this time and he made an appearance at the Spring Football Game. I'm hoping for a repeat of that this year.
As we have told our members in each meeting the last 2 months, this time of year our gameplan is to: be communicative, proactive, prudent and patient.

Good things coming!

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:32 pm

Tyler Mason now in the portal

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:39 pm

umasscollective wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:50 am
vanmeter wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:02 am If Matt Cross gets $500,000 - all the power to him. My guess is $200,000 or less. Hopefully he comes back because he fits our team and the team culture better than he would many others.
We have an offer on the table. Still a chance he comes back. NIL is not the driving force in his decision, but it is a factor. Don't blame him at all for testing the waters.
If NIL isn't the driving force what is it then? He has a chance to be POY, be thought of as one of the all-time UMass greats, he plays as many minutes as he wants to and he is the only one on the team that can do anything he wants and not feel the wrath of Frank.

Now I'm really confused - I thought it was to get a bag of cash somewhere else - if thats not the case good luck going somewhere else and being basically treated as the next coming.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:00 pm

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:39 pm
If NIL isn't the driving force what is it then? He has a chance to be POY, be thought of as one of the all-time UMass greats, he plays as many minutes as he wants to and he is the only one on the team that can do anything he wants and not feel the wrath of Frank.

Now I'm really confused - I thought it was to get a bag of cash somewhere else - if thats not the case good luck going somewhere else and being basically treated as the next coming.
NIL = Not the driving force, but it is a factor. Playing on a bigger stage, setting self up better for a pro career, etc. Several factors to carefully consider.

Everyone wants him back. But sheesh, let him explore a bit!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:06 pm

bobolink wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:32 pm Tyler Mason now in the portal
Did not impress me last season - minor loss

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:18 pm

umasscollective wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:00 pm
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:39 pm

NIL = Not the driving force, but it is a factor. Playing on a bigger stage, setting self up better for a pro career, etc. Several factors to carefully consider.

Everyone wants him back. But sheesh, let him explore a bit!
Just keep reminding yourself Saratoga is right around the corner Pat!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:26 pm

bobolink wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:32 pm Tyler Mason now in the portal
I look at this 2 ways: Maroon Colored Glasses or "WTF is going on here?"

Maroon - Mason didn't see much action last year. Maybe Frank told him he didn't see an expanded role for him, so Mason moved on. This hopefully means that Frank knows he has 1 or 2 quality bigs coming in.

WTF - This is a total surprise to Frank and Mason doesn't think the team will be competitive next season.

As usual, who knows???