Statue Dedication

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Re: Statue Dedication

Post by LS71 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:52 pm

Sorry I couldn’t be there. Sounds like a great event.

I saw pictures of MM on social media and I’m guessing the current team was in attendance.

They need to feel the love of UMass that radiated from the honorees.
Last edited by LS71 on Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:42 pm

LS71 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:52 pm Sorry I couldn’t be there. Sounds like a great event.

I saw pictures of MM on social media and I’m guessing the current
team was in attendance. They need to feel the love of UMass that radiated from the honorees.
Both the men's and women's teams were there for the statue dedications and the Hall of Fame Inductions. I wish we could have had a bunch of high level recruits there. Cal's speech and the speeches by a number of the players would have sealed the deal (maybe).

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:48 am

UMass Athletics had a bit of a bad day last Thursday. Friday mostly made up for it. Two extremely well done events hosted by the department (and other University services... shoutout to the food at the HOF event!).

The statue event was fantastic and it was great to see so many attend it. For me, it was (and always is) and honor to see and chat with Rita and Laurie Leaman, but it's even more touching to see the respect they receive from people like Julius Erving, Marcus Camby and John Calipari. Jack meant the world to those three and the University as a whole and it's great that he continues to be honored.

The statues themselves are nicely done. I know there has been some commentary about the Camby one and the pose, but it is what it is. Please make sure you go out of your way to check them all out! It should be noted that the statues were paid for by two people who continue to do great things for the University, Marty Jacobson and Ed Rubin.

Both basketball teams were in attendance, as well as almost all the players from the 95-96 team who were to be honored later that night. Stephane Lasme was also there, along with numerous players from Jack's teams. Jason Germain deserves a ton of credit for coordinating much of this.

The HOF event was also great, though disappointing that 3 of the inductees couldn't make it. It was great to see Glenn Wong be honored as well, which was, for me, the highlight of the night. He deserved the recognition. Sam Koch's wife gave a fantastic speech on behalf of her late husband and specifically thanked Cal for all he did for Sam, which was a cool thing to hear. Cal's speech was also great and it was great to hear him speak to the team as a whole, rather than the focus being just on Marcus.

Throughout the day, and from everything I heard on Saturday too, Cal and Marcus and everyone else took their time to talk to any and everyone that wanted to say hello or take a picture. They are all really good people.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:18 am

My set of pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vani ... 9024736123
Pretty much all from the statue ceremonies. Was a little too dark in Mullins for the HOF, bad combo with my limited photog skills.

The entire current men's team was there, players and coaching staff. I believe the full women's team was there too but I honestly don't know them well enough to say for certain.

Kellogg and Roe were not there, as to someone's earlier question. I was wondering if Lou might make it, as he's coaching down in Springfield.

All the 95-96 players made it, except for Inus Norville. Someone told me he was unable to get time off from work, I think down in the Carolinas. All of Calipari's coaching staff also made it, including several of the managers from the era.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:38 pm

Mike, thanks so much for the pictures! It was a treat to see everyone that was there.

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:57 pm

Those are some great pictures! Thanks Mike!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:06 pm

MikeUMA wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:18 am All the 95-96 players made it, except for Inus Norville. Someone told me he was unable to get time off from work, I think down in the Carolinas. All of Calipari's coaching staff also made it, including several of the managers from the era.

Andrew Maclay wasn't there, right? Or am I making that up?

EDIT: Nevermind, I made that up... I think I see him in the photos now.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:29 pm

Awesome pics Mike, thanks for sharing them with us
The E sho, best show in town

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:18 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:06 pm
MikeUMA wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:18 am All the 95-96 players made it, except for Inus Norville. Someone told me he was unable to get time off from work, I think down in the Carolinas. All of Calipari's coaching staff also made it, including several of the managers from the era.

Andrew Maclay wasn't there, right? Or am I making that up?

EDIT: Nevermind, I made that up... I think I see him in the photos now.
Andrew was there. I saw a post somewhere that asked if Andrew might be the only player to win a football championship (1998) and go to a final four. Granted, football was D2 but it is still a great accomplishment.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:24 pm

69MG wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:18 pm

Andrew was there. I saw a post somewhere that asked if Andrew might be the only player to win a football championship (1998) and go to a final four. Granted, football was D2 but it is still a great accomplishment.

I had asked him that on Twitter, and we were D-1AA, not D2.

Not sure why I didn't think he was there.... brain fart.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:29 pm

^ Talk about brain fart :oops: :oops: :oops: Did I really say D2? Wow!

Anyhow, I can't say enough what a great day that was. I hope the speeches were recorded and will be made available. For those who couldn't make it, it will be well worth your time to listen to them.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:06 pm

Great pictures, Mike! Thanks!
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:18 pm

^Ditto!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:15 pm

Could not ask for a better set of photos!

Thank you Mike.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:24 pm

I love that Lasme is wearing a Hendrix T-shirt. That pleases me.